Lighthouse Conservation Area is a 1 hectare park located at the mouth of the Thames River at Lake St. Clair. The lighthouse is 200 years old and is one of the three oldest on the Great Lakes.
A pioneer family named Cartier settled at the mouth of the Thames River in the early 1800’s and built the first lighthouse. The original frame structure was destroyed by fire during the War of 1812. In 1818, the present structure was built. After Confederation, the lighthouse was extended in height to its present level.
The original Cartier family looked after the lighthouse for about 130 years until William “Dick” Cartier died in 1950.
The Lower Thames Valley Conservation Authority obtained the lighthouse in 1973 and has since moved the structure and rebuilt it stone by stone.
Conservation Areas are NOT off-leash dog parks. ALL DOGS AND PETS MUST BE LEASHED. UNLEASHED PETS ARE A FINEABLE OFFENCE. CLEAN-UP AFTER YOUR PET! Section 10.-(2) and (3) Under the Conservation Authorities Act.
Lighthouse Conservation Area is located at 19028 Harbour Drive in Lighthouse Cove, in the Town of Lakeshore. From Chatham, follow Riverview Line (County Rd. 36) into Tecumseh Line, turn right on Lighthouse Side Road (County Rd. 39), right onto Concession Road 1, left onto Tisdelle Drive, right onto Lakeside Drive, right onto Harbour Drive.
Lat/Long 42.317, -82.455 UTM 380120, 4685590
Enjoy seeing an historic lighthouse. Also picnic, and fish. The park is open for dayuse from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. year-round, free of charge.
General Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lighthouse Conservation Area is located at the mouth of the Thames River – a Canadian Heritage River.
19028 Harbour Drive - Lighthouse Cove
19028 Harbour Drive